12.04.2008

Downtown Kaiserslautern, Germany: WINTERTRAUM FESTIVAL!!

I LOVE the holiday season!!!!

It is SO great being overseas this holiday season and seeing how everyone else celebrates Christmas. The Germans REALLY know how to do it right! Philippe and I took the bus outside our hotel on Monday afternoon and wandered downtown to find the 'Kaiserslautern Christmas Market'!



This is the entrance to the festival from the street... I was SO excited to find it so quickly once we got off the bus!


They had tons of rides for kids and PLENTY of beverages for adults! :-)


This was the first booth that Philippe and I came across as we walked in. Naturally, they had German beers on special for about $2, so of course we each got one and continued on our way through the streets! We sure do LOVE our German beer! YUM!!

Beautiful Germany!!! Seeing all these holiday decorations FINALLY made me realize that Christmas is coming! It was so nice to enjoy this... I really miss seeing Christmas decorations at home!

Here I am... proudly displaying my delicious German beer! Philippe and I had the BEST time walking the streets and checking out the shops. It wasn't that cold, either... the buildings really blocked the wind! The beautiful Christmas lights somehow kept me warm as well! :-)

Ahh... the infamous HOT WINE you can find ANYWHERE in Germany around Christmastime! You pick your liquor of choice; Rum, Jagermeister, or Amaretto; and they add a shot of it to their delicious hot red wine! It REALLY kept me warm later in the night! Ha!

Philippe and I, enjoying our trip and our time together! Our first holiday season together... and I LOVE being able to spend it with him overseas!!

This was the cutest little cookie booth... they had SO MANY decorated cookies in all shapes and sizes! How yummy!! I wanted one so bad, but I know it would have been so cute that I wouldn't have wanted to eat it, and I wondered how I could have possibly transported it back home safely! Oh well.. :-)

Philippe and I started to get hungry, and the BEST thing about German Festivals (besides the beer, of course! ;-), are the BRATS!!!!!!

We each ordered a double brat and we split an order of seasoned pommes frites (french fries). The fries were served with a sweet ketchup and went PERFECT with the paprika flavoring they were tossed in! YUM! The brats were served with a sweet hot German mustard... I SWEAR we should have ordered 2 each. They were the best brats I've ever had in my life!

"Dear Santa, there's not anything I could POSSIBLY ask for more this year!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for my job and for my love!!!!"

Just another Monday night out in Germany. I LOVE that Europeans really know how to live life. I noticed that ANY night out could seem like a weekend night, because they are constantly going out to eat, for drinks, no matter what night of the week it is. They all work like Americans, but they're not stressed about the everyday things that we sometimes tend to be. They have 2 hour lunch breaks during the day and they leave work to go out and enjoy their night rather than dread showing up at work again the next morning! Wow, if only more Americans could live and love life like that!

"Luckiest guy in Germany!"

A Santa Band!!! How funny!!! Played favorites such as 'Silent Night'... LOVE that Christmas Carol! So special. :-)

Just in case we were wondering how far away we were from the U.S... SO far away, but having the time of my life!!!

Happy Holidays!

CHEERS!

-Lisa :-)

1 comment:

Michael said...

Great pictures of Big K! I lived there for two years when I was in the army and I always miss it around the holidays. I stumbled on your blog doing a pic search, great shots! Thanks for posting them.