10.31.2008

The BLUE LAGOON: ICELAND

Hi again!

Ever since I started having layovers in Iceland, I've been dying to spend the day at the world famous 'Blue Lagoon'. The Blue Lagoon is a natural source of geothermal seawater located in the middle of the glaciers in Iceland, that even on the coldest day is still relaxing and rejuvenating. Considering it's a little more than a hop, skip, and a jump away from our beloved Hotel Keflavik... some planning had to be made in order to make our way to one of the wonders of the world! We were finally ready to do a little research on how to get there, and see for ourselves just what the healing waters and silica mud mask could do for OUR skin!

Myself and three other crew members rented a car for the day and were on our way! Naturally, Poppy drove, Nikki was in charge of directions, and Nick and I were the 'kids' in the backseat just taking pictures and asking, "Are we there yet??" :-) Surprisingly, it only took about 20 minutes to get there from our hotel, and the scenery of Iceland on the clear blue day was just gorgeous.

We were trying to spell out "ICE"... and Nick and Poppy just didn't seem to understand! From left; Me, Nikki, Poppy, and Nick. What a fun group of flight attendants!
This looks like a postcard! This is from the 'viewing platform' above the restaurant and spa they have at the Blue Lagoon. Boy, I bet that place makes a TON of money with a view like this!
Here I am on my way to the Blue Lagoon! We parked the car, then had to walk through this gorgeous pathway! "Come on, guys! Let's go!" (I was SO anxious!)

Before we reached the building with the lobby, spa, and restaurant, we caught a glimpse of some surrounding water from the lagoon that is near the building. It's hard to believe this is REAL!
Iceland is so gorgeous!
Here is an aerial view of the entire lagoon... as you can see, you enter from the building on the left, and conveniently they have a 'wading pool' with a door that opens from the inside so it's not TOO much of a cool shock on your skin. The water at the Blue Lagoon ranges from 90-104 degrees fahrenheit, and it's always steaming because of the 30-40 degree outside air. It creates a fog so thick that you can't even SEE anyone else in the lagoon until they are about 5 feet in front of you! For all we knew, we had the whole lagoon to ourselves... SO relaxing!

This is another aerial view that Nick took with his panoramic camera... It still doesn't capture how much there is to see of the Blue Lagoon!

For all guests, there are Blue Lagoon skin care products available for use while you spend your day at the spa. Before you enter the lagoon, each guest is asked to shower and use the moisturizing conditioner on hair and all over the skin. There are also all types of exfloiants and moisturizers when you get out to REALLY purify the skin and leave you just glowing! This is a board where they explain the natural healing ingredients of minerals, silicon, and algae.

This is the silicon mud mask that we all took advantage of... It's located in crates all around the lagoon and you leave it on for 10 minutes. It was SO nice, it never got too hard or felt too drying on my skin, and of course we just got a kick out of the way we looked creeping around the Lagoon like "Creatures of the Pond"! Hahaha!
Since I was one of the designated picture takers, I tried not to get my hands dirty OR wet. Nikki helped me out with my mask! Look how much she put on my face! Hahaha! We SURE did take advantage of the free products, let me tell you! :-)
And I kind of did away with my 'not getting my hands wet' after the mask was starting to drip onto my lips and I had to wipe some away. Oh well, that's what the towel was for!
After leaving the mask on for ten minutes, we made our way towards the massaging waterfall where we rinsed it all off in the STRONG pressure. It felt so good to sit there and have the water beat down on our shoulders for a minute or two. :-)


Ahh... are these not the fresh faces of 3 girls that look rejuvenated, refreshed, and revitalized?? I LOVE Blue Lagoon skin care!

I still kept my towel... I wanted to guard my camera with everything I could! And it worked! Not a drop on it...

A panoramic view of the bath house and spa area at the Blue Lagoon.

What a wonderful way to spend our day! I haven't felt this good in a LONG time!
Cheers!
-Lisa :-)
P.S. For more information, visit the website at www.bluelagoon.com

No comments: