2.19.2009

Five Cabin Checks is BACK!!

"Flight attendants, please perform the Five Cabin Checks now."

"Flight Attendants, HELLO, anyone there?"





Here I am! Hi guys!



Nice to see you all again! I can't believe I haven't updated at ALL so far this year. So, to begin... HAPPY 2009, I hope it finds you all happy and well!! I'm writing this now from, believe it or not, only my THIRD short trip I've had so far this year.


It's not that business is slowing, troops are pulling out of Iraq (they're actually only ADDING more to Afghanistan, ironically...as if you haven't heard), or that my beloved company is going under. (Ha! They're only GAINING business with our NEW 767 aircraft we just added to our fleet this week! EXCITED is an understatement!)


I just happened to get 'stuck' with a schedule for this 56-day bid period that's only 9 days on/5 days off, which doesn't leave much time for the long layovers that I LOVE. So instead of them sending me out overseas for 18 days at a time, I've spent alot of time at home on reserve and doing what we call 'domestic turns', ferrying out the aircraft to pick up these troops we keep sending overseas. Then once we get back to Rockford with said troops, other crews will pick up the aircraft and continue on overseas. Have I grown kinda bored at home, YES! Have I been extremely jealous of the others on international trips?? ABSOLUTELY!! But hey, EVERYONE I work with has to get their chance to travel as much as I have so far! I just can't wait for the NEW bid period to be assigned in the next couple weeks. Hopefully I'll be getting back to my normal schedule of being out 18 days a month, and most importantly, seeing new parts of the world I've never seen before.


Right now, I'm in my hotel room in Leipzig, Germany, sadly getting ready to pack my bags and head home tomorrow to begin yet ANOTHER 5 days off. I've been here since February 14th and had a really difficult time with jetlag this time around! It must be since I'm not quite used to it anymore. I spent my 24/7 (DAY OFF) sleeping for about 18 hours on and off, then the next day flew an easy 4 hour leg to Keflavik, Iceland. My layover there was so quick that we were only there for 5 hours, and before I knew it we were back in Leipzig, Germany for another night!


Tomorrow I have an EXTREMELY long duty day ahead of me... beginning at 0815 Germany time (0215 RFD time), and I'm not due to be home in Rockford until around 2230. My crew is working 3 legs... from Leipzig, Germany to Keflavik, Iceland (4 hours)... from Keflavik, Iceland to Goose Bay, Canada (4 hours)... and from Goose Bay, Canada to Cherry Point, North Carolina (3 hours). From North Carolina, we ferry the empty aircraft back to Rockford, IL and I can finally (hopefully!) squeeze a nap in! But the GOOD news is that we're on the NEW Boeing 767 aircraft that just joined our fleet this week that we acquired from an airline that just recently went out of business. From what I gather, it's very similar, yet different to the other 2 767's we operate now. I am so anxious to see the new 'bird'. Pictures to follow!


Hope you come back soon to check for updates! The new aircraft and brand new uniforms aren't the only tricks that Ryan has up their sleeve for this NEW YEAR!! Five Cabin Checks is DEFINITELY still up and running, just in case any of you were worrying. :-)


CHEERS!
-Lisa :-)

No comments: